AmeriCorps is a national service program that provides thousands of Americans with an opportunity to give back to their communities. AmeriCorps Members serve in nonprofits, public agencies, and faith-based organizations. Since the program was created in 1994, over 250,000 individuals have served their communities and country as AmeriCorps Members. Full time AmeriCorps Members commit to serve in organizations for one year, completing at least 1700 hours. AmeriCorps Members receive a modest living allowance, student-loan forbearance, health coverage, end of service education award, and child care for those who qualify.
Build Corps is the largest competitively funded AmeriCorps program in Kentucky. Operated by the Homeless & Housing Coalition of Kentucky (HHCK), the focus of the Build Corps program is to expand affordable housing opportunities for homeless and economically disadvantaged Kentuckians. Members serve at housing nonprofits around the state, providing housing placement and case management services and building, renovating, and weatherizing affordable housing.
1. Build Corps Members will provide housing services to 1800 economically disadvantaged and homeless individuals.
- 720 of these individuals will successfully maintain or secure safe, healthy, affordable housing.
2. Build Corps Members will provide disaster preparedness training to 800 community members.
- 720 of those served will be better prepared after receiving training.
Service Sites are organizations in Kentucky with demonstrated needs as well as the capacity to recruit, train, and host a Build Corps Member. Service Sites need to be or become members of HHCK. They are required to pay a site match for each Member and designate a Site Supervisor who acts as a mentor to their AmeriCorps Member and the primary point of contact with HHCK.
The partnership between HHCK and Service Sites is the key ingredient to a great year:
Four Goals of AmeriCorps
- Getting Things Done
- Strengthening Communities
- Encouraging Responsibility
- Expanding Opportunity